The Faldingworth School Logo
The Elizabethan lady on the school logo is the Countess of Warwick.
The history of the school goes back over three hundred and seventy years to the time of King James I and the year 1626. The Countess of Warwick, formally Francis Wray of Glentham lived in a large Elizabethan Manor at Snarford. She had been married twice, both husbands had died, and her only child had died at the age of two. Full of sadness, she decided that the only way of achieving any happiness was to spend the last few years of her life devoted to good works. One of the many good deeds she undertook was to arrange by deed poll the rent from leasing a plot of land at Bassingham to be set at £5 a year to be paid to a schoolteacher to “teach the poor children of Faldingworth.”
The letter B at the top centre of the logo is the Brownlow crest.
The first purpose built school building in Faldingworth was erected in 1828. The datestone from the original building is on show in this school in a showcase. The datestone reveals that the building was opened by Earl Brownlow who owned large tracts of land in this area. In 1845 a teacher’s house was built alongside the school. The old school was enlarged in 1888 to accommodate additional children. It is now a private house to the east of the present school.
The dragon is a reminder of the legend of the Buslingthorpe Dragon.
This story, by Derek Toyne, was published in 1976. It describes how the people of Buslingthorpe were frightened by a dragon which lived in nearby marshes. The people of Snarford came to the rescue. There is another version of the story in which a knight of Buslingthorpe proves that the dragon does not exist. Such stories are an interesting part of local folklore.
The shape and design of the badge, with the quarters of light and dark stripes and diagonal scroll with the school name, was designed by Neil Pottinger as part of a school competition in 1991.